Sunday, March 6, 2011

Home stretch day 6

So, I thought I'd wait til something interesting happened to update the blog.  This has been a social-heavy week, going out every available weekend night and a couple during the week.  I'm consciously being more social, especially since I have my own place now, and I can always come home to a quiet space after being on walkabout all day.  I went with a friend to a delicious sushi place up the street called The Drunken Fish.  They have a billion different selections of sake and of course yummy food.  I'm a crunchy roll kind of girl -- love the shrimp.

I have a thing about introducing people to my favorite bar right now.  It's called Kona Lounge.  I went there last night with "my boys," some guys I used to do field work with.  Kona's a tiki bar, meaning it has a hula girl statue that really shakes her hips, (fake) thatched roofing and a lot of those tiki heads, like the amulet the Brady Bunch found when they vacationed in Hawaii.  Did I mention they have a volcano?  It spits smoke.  No virgins are sacrificed.  I'd been to this place before I lived within walking distance, and incidentally moved to place where it is super accessible.  I was pleasantly surprised, let me tell you.  If you're in the Oakland/Piedmont area, I'd consider it a must-visit.  Especially since the hugely awesome Mountain View Cemetery is just a little beyond it.  If I cared about dying, I'd want to be buried there.  I have almost been run over by deer in that part of town, so it's a bit of a magical spot -- deer in Oakland.

So the boy's night out was fun, all the good stuff, but last night I had a dream about one of my friends.  Sex dream.  I haven't had a sex dream in ages!  It's weird how in real life sex would be awkward and feel just a little not-right when with a friend for the first time, but in dreams all that is just gone.  If real life worked like that I'd probably have three husbands and a passel of kids by now.  My friends are awesome: strong, funny, relatively sensitive, quirky, all the things I like in a guy.  But they're my friends because I have to go down the romantic road within the first, maybe, month of knowing a person well, or else they are classified as friend forever.  If they try to kiss me at some random stage in our friendship it's going to feel like kissing my brother, if I had one.

Moral of the above story: men, if you are attracted to a woman, make it known early, even if you don't act on it right away.  Then, as she forms a sold opinion of you, and you of her, you can both be creating a romantic partner avatar in your heads.  Once the friend avatar is built, there can be conversion, but it's a much tougher road.

No comments:

Post a Comment