Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Fast: the plan

The Fast

The plan: Okay, the plan is pretty simple. Beginning on my birthday, April 1st, 2010, I’m officially on a one year abstinence plan, until my birthday comes in 2011. The purpose? I’m 29 this year, and I’m taking the year to cleanse my twenties and get myself emotionally ready for my thirties.

The first question most people have is why? Think back. Your twenties are a notoriously immature time in life, when you’re suddenly unleashed from your parents, and you spend government-subsidized hours wasting time, getting high and making terrible decisions. I chose to focus on one particular area of stupidity: relationships. Oh, the mistakes I have made. Some people are lucky enough to find a well-adjusted other, and begin a long-term relationship during this troubled decade. Those people are both observant and lucky. I was too busy living as fast as I could to pay close attention to the people around me. I got my BA, I played in three or four bands (I drum), I got my MS, I wrote a book, I worked 40-50 hour weeks...in sum, I hustled. I'm still hustling. This is an attempt to simplify, clear my head a little bit, and maybe feel a bit less jangled. Right now life is so cluttered, there's no room to add another person. Is it a wonder I haven't found someone to fit into the tiny chink of space I have available in my life?


In this interim between dating and destiny, I'll be taking classes on emotional well-being, relationships, general personal improvement, so I am my most shining, awesome self when I hit 30, and hopefully I'll find someone shinning and bright on the other side.


Romantic comedies would dictate I find Mr. Right during this fast, and can do little to advance our relationship til it's over. Ha, well, we can all hope, right? For now, wish me luck! I'm 10 days in, and staying strong so far. Stay tuned...updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment